UP Board NCERT English Class 10 English (First Flight)
Chapter 1 A Letter to God
NCERT UP Board Class 10 English First Flight Chapter -1 A Letter to God: Dear students, we are providing here the solution of new english book first flight for up board for class 10th comprehension passage and all question answer of chapter 1 A letter to God written by GL fuent . Class-10th English UP Board NCERT
Important Passages for Comprehension
PASSAGE – 1
The house – the only one in the entire valley – sat on the crest of a low hill. From this height one could see the river and the field of ripe corn dotted with the flowers that always promised a good harvest. The only thing the earth needed was a downpour or at least a shower. Throughout the morning Lencho – who knew his fields intimately – had done nothing else but see the sky toward the north – east. ” Now we’re really going to get some water, woman. ” The woman, who was preparing supper, replied, ” Yes, God willing “. The older boys were working in the field, while the smaller ones were playing near the house until the woman called them to all, ” Come for dinner. ”
Answer the following Questions:
- Where was the house situated?
Ans.- The house was situated on the top of a hill.
- What could one see from this height?
Ans. One could see the river and the field of ripe corn dotted with the flowers that always promised a good harvest.
- What was needed by the earth only?
The only thing the earth needed was a downpour or at least a shower.
- Who knew his fields intimately?
Ans. Lencho – knew his fields intimately.
PASSAGE – 2
It was during the meal that, just as Lencho had predicted, big drops of rain began to fall. In the north – east huge mountains of clouds could be seen approaching. The air was fresh and sweet. The man went out for no other reason than to have the pleasure of feeling the rain on his body, and when he returned, he exclaimed, ” These aren’t raindrops falling from the sky, they are new coins. The big drops are ten cent pieces and the little ones are fives. ” With a satisfied expression he regarded the field of ripe corn with its flowers, draped in a curtain of rain. Answer the following Questions:
- When did the rain drops begin to fall?
Ans. It was during the meal that, just as Lencho had predicted, big drop of rain began to fall.
- What could be seen approaching in the north – east?
Ans. In the north, east huge mountains of clouds could be seen approaching.
- Why did the man go out?
Ans. The man went out to have the pleasure of feeling the rain on his body .
- From what have the rain drops been compared to ?
Ans. The big drops are ten cent pieces and the little ones are fives .
PASSAGE – 3
With a satisfied expression he regarded the field of ripe corn with its flowers , draped in a curtain of rain . But suddenly a strong wind began to blow and along with the rain very large hailstones began to fall . These truly did resemble new silver coins . The boys , exposing themselves to the rain , ran out to collect the frozen pearls . ” It’s really getting bad now , ” exclaimed the man . ” I hope it passes quickly . ” It did not pass quickly . For an hour the hail rained on the house , the garden .
- Answer the following Questions :
- With what type of expression Lencho regarded the field ?
Ans. With a satisfied expression Lencho regarded the field .
- What happened when strong wind began to blow ?
Ans. A strong wind began to blow , very large hailstones began to fall .
- Why did the boys go out ?
Ans. Boys ran out to collect the frozen pearls.
- Did the storm pass quickly ?
Ans. No, it did not pass quickly .
PASSAGE – 4
Lencho showed not the slightest surprise on seeing the money ; such was his confidence – but a became angry when he counted the money . God could not have made a mistake, nor could he have denied Lencho what he had requested. Immediately, Lencho went to the window to ask for paper and ink . On the public – writing table , he started to write , with much wrinkling of his brow , used by the effort he had to make to express his ideas .
- Answer the Following Questions:
- Did Lencho show any surprise ?
Ans. Lencho showed not the slightest on seeing the money.
- Why did Lencho become angry?
Ans. Lencho became angry when he counted the money .
- Why did Lencho go to the window?
Ans. Lencho went up to the window to ask for paper and ink.
- What was the expression of Lencho while writing the letter?
Ans. He started to write letter with much wrinkling of brow.
PASSAGE – 5
Immediately: Lencho went up to the window to ask for paper and ink . On the public – writing, table, he started to write with much wrinkling of his brow , caused by the effort he had to make to press his ideas . When he finished he went to the window to buy a stamp which he licked and then affixed to the envelope with a blow of his fist. The moment the letter fell into the mailbox the postmaster went to open it . It said ” God : Of the money that I asked for , only seventy pesos reached Send me the rest , since I need it very much . But don’t send it to me through the mail because the post office employees are a bunch of crooks . Lencho . “
Answer the Following Questions:
- How did Lencho fix the stamp?
Ans. When he finished, he went to the window to buy a stamp.
- Who went to open the mail box?
Ans. The postmaster went to open the mail box .
- How much money did Lencho get?
Ans. The money that Lencho asked for, only seventy pesos reached him .
- What did Lencho call to the employees of post office ?
Ans. Lencho called the post office employees a bunch of crooks .
Short Answer Type Questions.
- What are raindrops compared to and why ?
Ans. Raindrops are compared to new coins five cent and ten – cent pieces . It is because they promised a good harvest and good money .
- What promised a good harvest ?
Ans. According to Lencho , the field of ripe corn dotted with flowers always promised a good harvest . That is why he was expecting a good harvest
- How did Lencho’s prediction about rain come true ?
Ans. Lencho looked towards the north – east and remarked that they would get some water . His prediction came true when it started raining in the evening .
- Why was Lencho’s soul filled with sorrow ?
Ans. The hail and hailstones rained on the valley for an hour and had left field totally covered with snow . The crop was completely destroyed which made Lencho’s soul filled with sorrow .
- Why was the family not really upset ?
Ans. Even after facing ruin , Lencho’s family was not really upset . It was because of having immense faith in God , and they were confident that God would help them .
- Why did the postmaster send a reply to Lencho’s first letter addressed to God ?
Ans. The postmaster was a kind – hearted and amiable man . He was impressed by Lencho’s firm faith in God and to sustain that faith , he sent a reply to Lencho .
- How was Lencho helped ?
Ans. The postmaster , a generous and kind – hearted man read Lencho’s letter to God , and to maintain Lencho faith , he raised money from friends and colleagues and sent it to Lencho in the name FGod .
- Why was Lencho angry when he received the letter ?
Ans. Lencho was angry on counting the money since it was less than the amount he had asked for . He had firm faith that God could neither make a mistake nor could deny what was requested .
- Do you think the post – office employees were a bunch of crooks ?
Ans. The employees of the post – office were not crooks but they had infact collected the money to give Lencho and helped him out . Lencho called them a ‘ bunch of crooks ‘ as he thought they stole a part of the money , where as it was them who sent the money in the name of God .
- What Lencho surprised to find a letter for him with money in it ?
Ans. Lencho was not at all surprised to find a letter with money in it .
A Letter To God Class-10th English (New Syllabus) Long Answer Type Questions
What was Lencho’s pride and possession?
Answer = Lencho lived in the solitary house on the crest of a low hill in the valley . From here , he could survey and see the river and his pride , the field of ripe corn dotted ithflowers always promised a good harvest . Lencho’s family only wish was a downpour and Lencho , who knew his fields intimately , predicted rain , this prediction turned true when it started raining in the evening . He went out to feel the rain and surveyed with satisfaction, his crop draped in a curtain of rain . He regarded rain drops as a new silver coins .
Bring out Lencho’s immense faith in God .
Answer = Lencho wanted some rain for his crop and the ripe crop stood proud in the field and promised good harvest . Rain came , as he predicted but turned to hail and ruined his crop . Lencho’s heart was filled with sorrow . But he did not lose hope , he had firm belief in God . He wrote a letter to God , asking him to send 100 pesos so that he could sow his field again . The postmaster read the letter addressed to ‘ God ‘ and to maintain the man’s faith in God ‘ he raised 70 pesos and sent them to Lencho .
Lencho could not believe that God could make such a mistake and wrote again asking God to send the rest of the money , but not through mail as he believed that the post – office employees were a bunch of crooks ‘ .
How did the hailstones affect Lencho’s field ? What was Lencho’s only hope ?
Answer = Being a small farmer , Lencho was completely dependent upon the crops of his field . Once a heavy downpour occurred and along with it hailstones also started falling . As a result the field turned white as if it had him covered with salt all over . This annual crop was completely destroyed . Even there was not a single flower left on the plants . In the entire village there was no one to help him in his problem . Being a firm believer in God, he turned to the Almighty for the help , he wrote a letter to God requesting to send 100 pesos so that he might sow his fields again till the next crop comes . He had a belief that God would certainly help him with the money .
How did post – office employees help Lencho ? How did Lencho react to their help?
Answer = The postmaster needed something more than ink and paper to answer the letter, he needed 100 pesos . He gave up a part of his salary and asked all other employees to help . Even he asked his friends to contribute for a cause of the charity . Thus , he managed to collect 70 pesos . Lencho was not surprised to receive the letter . But he was angry to receive 70 pesos instead of 100. He did not doubt God . Such was his confidence he wrote another letter to God asking him to send the rest of the money . He also warned him not to send it through the post – office because these people were a bunch of crooks ‘ .
Sketch the character of the following :
( i ) Lencho ( ii ) The Postmaster
Lencho : Character sketch
- A Hardworking Farmer – Lencho was a simple man and a hard-working farmer who worked as an ox in his field.
- Loves Family – Lencho’s entire crop was badly destroyed by the hailstorm, so he became very sad because he was worried about his family .
- Innocent Man – Lencho ‘ did not know that there was no such living person as God who could send him money.
- An Optimistic Person – Although his only source of living was taken away he didn’t lose hope and maintained his belief in God as he was confident that God would help him in his distress.
Postmaster’s Character Sketch
- Sensible and Compassionate : He understood depth of faith in God that is shown by Lencho .
- Kind Hearted : He himself gave up a part of his salary to arrange money asked by Lencho which shows his kindness.
- Empathetic Person : He felt happy and satisfied when Lencho received the money , as he loved to help others .
MCQs (objective questions)
- Where was Lencho’s house situated ?
- bottom of the hill
- top of a hill
- top of a plateau
- in a city
- What was the only thing that the earth needed according to Lencho ?
- a shower
- a snowfall
- strong winds
- Where did Lencho expect the downpour to come from ?
- North – East
- North – West
- South – East
- What did Lencho coin compare the large raindrops with ?
- silver coins
- new coins
- Which crop was growing on Lencho’s fields ?
- None of the above
- What destroyed Lencho’s fields?
- heavy rainfall
- land slide
- The field looked as if it were covered in ……..
- Lencho compared the quantum of damage with :
- attack by rats
- attack by crows
- plague of locusts
- None of the above
- What was the only hope left in the hearts of Lencho’s family ?
- Compensation from governmemt
- help from Farmers’s association
- help from God
- There was no hope left
- How did Lencho decide to contact his last resort ?
- by visiting them personally
- through a letter
- through e – mail
- through fax
- How much money did Lencho ask for ?
- 100 Pesos
- 1000 Pesos
- 10 Pesos
- 500 Pesos
- What was the immediate reaction of the postman on seeing the letter ?
- laughed whole – heartedly
- felt sad about what happened
- felt empathetic
- The postmaster was a fat , amiable man – what is the meaning of amiable ?
- What else did the reply demand apart from good will , ink and paper ?
- lost crop
- God’s signature
- new seeds
- What did Lencho think of the post – office employees?
- bunch of crooks